[wingide-users] Project manager questions

Matt Goodall matt at
Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:54:00 +0100

Stephan Deibel wrote:

>On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Matt Goodall wrote:
>>1. Can I add a directory tree without including certain directories. In
>>particular I don't want to import the CVS and .svn directories.
>The following two preferences are used to control file inclusion/omission
>in adding a directory tree or package:
>proj.package-omit-types=("*.o", "*.a", "*.so", "*.pyc", "*.pyo", \
>                         "core", "*~", "#*#")
>These can be placed in your preferences file (Edit menu / Preferences)
>and modified and changes made will take effect after Wing is restarted.
Yep, I found those in the manual ... I'm an RTFM type of person ;-).
While I think about it, some way of explicitly searching the list
archives would be useful or at least a link to download the whole
archive so it can be grep'd.

>To omit files in *.svn you would either have to add patterns to the
>package-omit-types pref that catch them all or change the
>package-file-types pref to include only things like *.py and whatever else
>you want.  Alas, just adding *.svn to omit-types doesn't work.
This is basically what I am doing and it works to a degree.
Unfortunately, I want to include .txt files but Subversion places a
README.txt in each .svn directory :-(.

>I'm actually a bit surprised we're not matching the omit patterns to
>directory names, so if this causes you problems let me know and I can look
>at a patch for this.
It would certainly be useful, I could then use the prefs you mention
above properly again. Perhaps a
proj.package-omit-dirs setting?

>>2. Is is possible to reduce the length of the directory name displayed
>>in the project's file list area. I've got things like
>>file:/home/matt/src/blah/blah/blah which is a little hard to work with.
>>The ability to set a base directory for the project would be nice - any
>>directories under there could be relative, directories outside of the
>>project tree could be absolute.
>As soon as you save the project file to disk, e.g. in /home/matt/src, the
>display should change to using partial relative paths from the project
>file location.  So you should see blah/blah/blah instead for the above
Oh yeah, I can't believe I didn't notice that! I actually tend to keep
project files in a ~/projects directory to avoid polluting the source
code repository but I can change that easily enough now I know.

Thanks for the quick response.

Cheers, Matt

Matt Goodall, Pollenation Internet Ltd
t: +44 (0)113 2252500