Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] wingide and debugging compiled extensions

Wing IDE Support support at wingide.com
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 13:57:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Dominic Barraclough wrote:
> I have some python c extensions that I wish to debug. What I would like to
> be able to do is use wingide to debug the python side of things and then
> debug the c stuff using MS visual c++. I read in some where that this is
> possible but can nothing to indicate how to go about doing this. Advice please.

In order to do this, you need to use wingdbstub, which is the facility
Wing uses to debug code that isn't launched from inside itself.  Usage is
documented here:

http://wingide.com/psupport/wingide-1.1/node7.html#SECTION007140000000000000000

Once you have this working and are able to debug Python code within Wing
via wingdbstub, you can then run Python from sources you've built in MS
VC++ using the Python source distribution.  Then invoke your Python
program from there.  Assuming you've built everything with debug symbols,
you'll be able to set and reach breakpoints in your extension module code
(from within VC++) and also in your Python code (from within Wing).

The only thing to note is that if you're stopped in VC++, you shouldn't
try to set or alter Python breakpoints or issue other debug process
commands (like Pause) within Wing.  This will cause Wing to mistakenly
think the debug process has crashed because it doesn't respond when
stopped inside VC++.  In practice, this is easy enough to work around.

It may also be possible to launch your debug program from inside Wing IDE
and attach to it with VC++.  I've only done this a few times quite a while
ago and can't remember if it worked right for me.  Maybe someone else can
comment on that.

Hope that helps.

- Stephan