Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] usability feedback from a new customer

Stephen Bartlett stephen at bartlettsoftware.biz
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 11:54:42 -0700

Greetings,

Thought I'd share with you all some initial impressions.  I've been using=
 Wing=20
1.1.5 for about 10 days, and was at last impressed enough with it to buy =
it.

I'm running it on GNU/Linux (RedHat 7.3), with the KDE 3.0 desktop manage=
r.

  o  The Windows menu of the Source Browser grows in width by a pixel or =
two=20
each time it's shown.  I managed to get it as wide as my screen over a fe=
w=20
days.
  o  I've crashed Wing a few times by selecting a code block and then=20
left-clicking within that code block (as if I were going to drag it, but =
I=20
didn't).
  o  The ctrl+fn key combos conflict with KDE's use for those, which is t=
o=20
switch between desktops.  So I can't search for the selection forward or=20
backward, use Next/Previous View, etc.  Sure wish there was a way to twea=
k=20
Wing's keyboard mappings!
  o  The Search/Replace manager is funky, and I still haven't gotten=20
comfortable with it.  Haven't figured out how to keyboard-navigate from t=
he=20
Search field to the Replace field.  The default "beep" is obnoxious (plai=
n=20
and too loud, and I hear this a lot) -- wish I could have Wing play a sou=
nd=20
file of my choosing instead.

Those are all nits -- I'm pleased with the professional quality and featu=
re=20
set.  So far I'm glad I paid the $$$ (that damned trial license box was=20
driving me nuts :)

- Stephen Bartlett

--=20
Stephen Bartlett, President