Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Problems with debugging

Wing IDE Support support at wingide.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:07:40 -0400 (EDT)

On 16 Oct 2002, Fredrik Juhlin wrote:
> I have problems with Wing's debug feature when I try to use a Python
> build that was configured with --with-pydebug.

Hi,

The problem is that it fails to load the dbgtracer extension module
because the InitModule4 symbol used there is purposely not defined when
Python is compiled with --with-pydebug (actually, we use InitModule but
this is a macro defined differently on the two cases).

See the end of Include/modsupport.h in your Python sources.

The only solution is to recompile the dbgtracer extension module
against Python that was compiled with --with-pydebug set.  Recompiling
the debug server is described in section 6.19 of the Wing IDE 1.1.6
manual.

I've just done it for Python 2.1 on Linux and it solves the problem. I'll
send the module to you in a seperate email to save you the trouble.

Note that running the IDE with a copy of Python compiled this way pretty
much requires that you run it with the --verbose option (Posix) or use
console_wing.exe (Windows) because Python processes launched by the IDE
for source analysis and debugging purposes will seem to hang up on
the "Print left references? [ny]" queries that appear by default.  I
found I needed to respond to these queries from time to time, esp.
initially when setting the Python version or the IDE would seem to
hang up as it probed the newly set Python interpreter.

Hope that helps.

- Stephan

Wing IDE for Python                          Archaeopteryx Software, Inc
www.wingide.com                              Take Flight!