Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] New Wing instance vs existing

Wing IDE Support support at wingide.com
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:50:58 -0500 (EST)

On 25 Nov 2002, Ken Kinder wrote:
> Lately the feature of Wing where you type "wing <filename>" opens a new
> window in an existing IDE seems not to work for me. It just launches a
> new copy of the program.

It looks like our timeout was simply too short so the initial
instance of Wing wasn't always waiting long enough to read
data after the connection was established.  You can fix your
Wing IDE 1.1.7 installation by applying the patch here:

http://wingide.com/support/downloads_list&prod=wingstd&version=1.1.7&section=bugfix

Please let us know if that doesn't help.

> How does WingIDE determine whether it will open an editor or a new
> instance of the program?

Wing should always reuse an existing instance unless you don't
specify any files on the command line or if you specify the
--new command line option to force a new instance to be created.

The process is controlled by the .instance file in your profiles
directory (~/.wingide on Posix or profiles/[username] inside your
Wing installation on win32).  This means that Wing will only
reuse instances on the same machine and on multi-user machines
only instances running as the same user.  But use of multiple
xterms and ssh as you described shouldn't affect any of this
as long as the .instance file is readable by both copies of
Wing and writable by the initial instance.

Hope that helps.

- Stephan