Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] $DISPLAY not available

Wing IDE Support support at wingide.com
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:24:32 -0500 (EST)

On 20 Nov 2002, Ken Kinder wrote:
> When $DISPLAY is not set, could Wing spit out a meaningful error
> message? Most X programs yield something like "Aaah! NO $DISPLAY!"

It should but looking at the code now more recent versions might not.
It's been fixed in our sources.  If you run into this often, just
add these lines to run-wing.sh:

if [ "${DISPLAY}" = "" ]; then
    echo "wing: Error: DISPLAY is not set"
    exit 1
fi

We do set a default of :0 on XDarwin (Mac OS X) because it typically
is undefined there, but I don't think that is correct to do on Posix
OSes in general.

Thanks for reporting this.

- Stephan

Wing IDE for Python                          Archaeopteryx Software, Inc
www.wingide.com                              Take Flight!