 Search:

[wingide-users] Search

Gary Bishop gb@cs.unc.edu
Wed, 29 May 2002 08:50:14 EDT

The Wing IDE is great stuff. But I *hate* the way search works. I find my self
drifting back to emacs because search works *so* much better there.

In Emacs I type C-f and the isearch prompt appears in the "mini-buffer" area.
Nothing is obscured on the screen. If I type C-f again, I get the previous
search string. If I start typing letters then the incremental search commences.

In Wing I type C-f and it pops up a dialog obscuring part of my screen. If I
hide the dialog, then next time I type C-f (sometime later in the session) it
immediately searches for whatever I searched for last which is usually the
WRONG thing. I have to delete that string (which I can't see because the
dialog is hidden) then I can start searching. Ack!

Could we use the status line or the line at the top that usually says
"Debugger: Ready and idle" to display the search string instead of this
dialog? Is this something a user could reasonably hack into the code?

Wing really is great stuff. But this one thing drives me crazy...

gb