News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] WingIDE does NOT do what it should

Stephan R.A. Deibel sdeibel@wingide.com
Tue, 14 May 2002 09:51:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Patrick Carabin wrote:
> 1 ) impossible to install WingIDE to work with a PREVIOUSLY INSTALLED
> version of ZOPE. Zope was then inreacheable by a browser...  The only
> thing that could work after ( long ) installation was the bundled
> version Wing+Zope

Has anyone else had such problems under Linux?  We've tested Zope versions
2.3.0, 2.3.2, 2.3.3, 2.4.0, 2.4.1, 2.4.2, 2.4.3, 2.4.4, 2.5.0, and 2.5.1.

Note that we're working on Zope-out-of-the-box support, which will make it
unnecessary to patch Zope for regular page load debugging.  I've mentioned
this before, but now it's actively being worked on and we plan to make
this available as a patch to Wing 1.1.4 as well as in the 1.2 release.

> 3 ) After installing the bundle version, i discovered
> - WingIDE could NOT debug Python Scripts

You can't debug Zope Python Scripts or DTML with Wing.  The former because
it's not stored on disk and the latter because it's not Python.  This is
detailed in the Wing + Zope Usage how-to and I've added this to the second
sentence in the Installation and Setup how-to also (both are available
from http://wingide.com/support/howtos).

> - WingIDE did not help writing  Python Scripts, which was THE MOST
> IMPORTANT FEATURE AN IDE SHOULD DO

It does help writing all forms of Python that are stored on disk, whether
that's stand-alone GUI apps, CGI scripts running under a web server,
scripts in a custom embedded scripting setup, or Zope external methods or
products.  But, alas, we can't get at the source code for Python Scripts
so can't show them for debugging.  This may change in the future but for
now using External Methods is pretty much equivalent in Zope and that *is*
supported.

> - WingIDE did even NOT indent Python programs !

It certainly should/does!  Maybe your script names don't end in 'py',
'cgi', or 'pyw' and your scripts don't contain other hints (like '#!' and
'python' on first line).  Then Wing can't figure out it's a Python file
and all its Python-specific functionality (auto-completion, syntax
hilighting, source index menu, source browsing, etc) will be disabled for
that file.

In that case, you can tell it on a per-file basis that a file is Python
from the Source menu's Syntax Highlighting section, and your setting will
be remembered in your project file... or you can add the file extension
you use to the main.extra-mime-types preference.  For example:

main.extra-mime-types={ 'pydist': 'text/x-python', 'in': 'text/x-python' }

We're working on a preferences GUI for version 1.2, which should make the
existence of these things more obvious w/o diving into the main
preferences file and manual (although the textual preferences file
will still be there for those that have written to say they like it ;).

> It's ONLY if You solve these important problems that we can think to
> re-install WingIDE. I'm now busy removing the installationS it did to
> try testing...

Well, sorry it didn't work out.  If others have had similar experiences,
please let us know!

Thanks,

- Stephan