News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Feature Request: File Manager

Stephan R.A. Deibel sdeibel@wingide.com
Fri, 10 May 2002 15:34:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 10 May 2002 kapil@codeit.com wrote:
> it would be nice if their was a file manager similiar to the tree based
> project manager suggested earlier. the major difference being that the file
> manager would show all files, as opposed to project files. again, its useful
> navigation on large source trees where a project might only encompass a
> subset of the source tree. its probably the biggest reason why i switch back
> to emacs on occasion (for directory mode). as added feature on to the base
> request, drag and drop between the file manager to the project manager would
> be a nice bonus ;)

We plan to add auto-updating directories, which might help with this
problem.  You could just add your top-level development directory, set it
to be recursively auto-updated, and the IDE would keep it matching the
disk.

Right now Wing uses preferences to decide what to include and not include
when you recursively add, and the same approach would be used for these
auto-updaters, except that we'ld want people to be able to override the
default file types on a per-directory basis.

These auto-updaters would be in addition to and not a replacement for
non-updating directories, which are still useful sometimes if you just
want a subset of things in a directory (although the static directories
would probably be used somewhat rarely).

Some caution is needed in doing this as adding huge numbers of files to
the IDE (if you have gobs and gobs of Python code) can still weigh down
the source analyser quite a bit.  It's definately gotten a lot better in
1.1.4 but as long as the project is the starting point for what's in the
source analyser, this needs to be considered to some extent.

- Stephan

Wing IDE for Python                          Archaeopteryx Software, Inc
www.wingide.com                              Take Flight!