News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Wing IDE for OS X beta1 released

Wing IDE Support support@wingide.com
Fri, 10 May 2002 15:24:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 10 May 2002, SNYDER, BARRON F (AIT) wrote:
> I downloaded the OS X beta and had it up and running pretty quickly. I think
> your suggested choice of OroborOSX as a window manager is a good one. The
> OroborOSX windows integrate well with the native OS X interface. I haven't
> spent much time with it yet and I'm not that familiar with Wing but my
> initial impression is that you have done a great job with your first OS X
> release! Thanks!

Glad to hear it's working for you!

The biggest question in my mind is how well it will work on real-world
coding against one or the native Mac / OS X toolkits like Carbon... as of
this first beta, that hasn't been tested and I have to admit we haven't
even looked into what bindings exist for Python for these kits.

In theory this should all work, although it may in some cases means having
to use wingdbstub instead of launching debug processes from Wing IDE.
Also, we may need to add some non-Python mainloop support like we did for
gtk, wxWindows, TkInter, and Zope.  Although even w/o this, the only real
impact is inability to alter breakpoints or Pause while the debug process
is free-running, so this is hardly a big deal in actual use if you know of
the issue.

Another thing we'ld like to get a feel for is on what speed processors
people feel comfortable with Wing IDE for OS X, so we can make
recommendations for minimum hardware requirements.  It's now OK on our G3
imac, except moving and resizing windows is a real drag (not just in Wing
but in any X app).

Well, anyway, please keep the feedback coming either on this list or
to support@wingide.com.

By the way, I completely forgot to thank *Manoj Plakal* for his initial
port of Wing IDE to OS X.  It's likely we would not have done the port
this soon had he not taken the initiative to kick start the process.  He
deserves most of the thanks from any future happy OS X users!  Thanks,
Manoj!

- Stephan