News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Feature Request: Refactoring

kapil@codeit.com kapil@codeit.com
Fri, 10 May 2002 12:23:27 -0700 (PDT)

> The thing is about Java and C++ is that they are strongely typed and
> you can be reasonably certain you found all the references. I don't
> know how you would, for example, figure out __dict__ references or
> exec()
> references of any number of the odd things Python programmers do. :)
> Even if you did follow all the imports diligently.

there are definitely all sorts of corner cases that are hard due to the
dynamic nature of python. but i think the bicycle repair man is using an
approach that can definitely help in python refactoring code. currently
refactoring python code is a time-consuming and error-prone process... all
the more reason for unit tests ;) seriously, if bicycle repair man can help
get a head start on refactoring even if its not complete i'm all for it.

as an aside on the type of inferencing that can still be done with python to
produce good effects, check out http://sf.net/projecs/psyco

> I'd go for CVS integration over refactoring as a feature request,
> personally. BTW, a really cool tool for CVS is cervisia. It's a KDE
> program but doesn't try to start up KFM compulsively or anything.

good point. me too ;)  i'd rather have cvs integration first.

-cheers

kapil