News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Integrated Wing+Zope : missing Z2.pid

Stephan R.A. Deibel sdeibel@wingide.com
Thu, 2 May 2002 09:28:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Patrick Carabin wrote:
> ftp://wingide.com/pub/wingide/1.1.3/zope/wing-1.1.3-1-zope-2.5.0-linux-bundle.tar
>
> i get :
> ( as normal user ) :
> ./start: Permission denied ... which doesn't sound very normal
> ( then, as root ):
> IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
> '/usr/local/Zope-2.5.0-Wing-linux2-x86/var/Z2.pid'
>
> the file does NOT exist. Where does it come from? How can i have it
> working ? Could i install it NORMALLY as MySelf and NOT AS ROOT? (
> for Wing alone i remember it ABSURDLY didn't work, so here i did it
> directly as root ) .

Z2.pid is Zope's process ID lock file, which it uses internally to
identify its process so when you say './stop' it can kill the process.
The error seems to indicate that the process running Zope doesn't have
permissions to write the file in /usr/local/Zope-2.5.0-Wing-linux2-x86/var.

One case that I know of where this possible for root is if /usr/local
is on an NFS-mounted file system, in which case root is often by default
*not* given blanket access to the volume.

Another possible cause is if there is already a Zope process running
on your system from the Zope installation you are working with.  In
my case I get this:

StorageSystemError: Could not lock the database file.  There must be
another process that has opened the file.

(not quite the same as what you get, so this may not be it, but I
wanted to note that running multiple copies of Zope from the same
installation isn't supported by Zope)

The Zope + Wing bundle is really better to install as yourself and not
root, because in actual use you will likely add products and be constantly
modifying source inside that Products area (and/or elsewhere).  It's a
package for a single developer to use, and you should install one per
developer if you're running on a multi-user machine.

Note that on a multi-user machine, you also need to make sure that you
configure Zope to run on different port numbers for each instance.
Otherwise you will get:

error: (98, 'Address already in use')

> I'm seriously disappointed. WingIDE was supposed to help my work, and
> i lost so much time to install it. I still do NOT know if it REALLY
> can help speed up the developping process...

Sorry you're disappointed.  It's usually not this hard...

The main problems I know of were due to broken urls on our server,
as a result of our upgrade, and confusion about the license and which
version of Wing was installed on your machine.

You mention also that installing Wing as yourself didn't work.  If
you have more detailed information about that, please let us know.

You can't install rpms as yourself on most systems, but could use
the tar distribution to install as yourself.  I remember you mentioned
installing the rpm so if that's where it happened, it would be totally
normal that the installation failed.

Well, I hope this helps... if not, please let us know!

- Stephan

Wing IDE for Python                          Archaeopteryx Software, Inc
www.wingide.com                              Take Flight!