[wingide-users] pyscintilla distribution

Wing IDE Support
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 20:34:17 -0400 (EDT)

[Sorry; this is really a bit off-topic for this mailing list.  If there's
enough interest in discussing Wing's implementation or open source parts,
we can create a seperate mailing list]

On 30 Apr 2002, Ken Kinder wrote:
> I easily compiled, tested, and played with pyscintilla. Very nice job.
> Do you have any general comments on distributing anything made with this
> widget? The README.python file doesn't go into detail about what files I
> need to distribute, what I don't, etc.

You can get just the pyscintilla dist in source from here:

This includes just what's needed to access and use the basic gtk scintilla
widget from Python.  You could omit some of the lexers if you wished to do
that, but the rest isn't modular at this level.

I'd recommend using this rather than copying stuff out of the Wing
sources.  Our current sources include a few minor fixes and additions, but
this is basically the version we're running on.

We do layer lots of stuff on top of this, including the emacs personality
and other editor features, but those parts of our code are not open source
and can't be redistributed.

In the context of Wing, the use of pyscintilla is pretty complex since we
use the scintilla document object as our cache for source analysis too. So
it's probably better to look at other sources for scintilla usage examples
(e.g., look at SciTE).

- Stephan

Wing IDE for Python                          Archaeopteryx Software, Inc                              Take Flight!