 Search:

[wingide-users] Class browser ideas

Wing IDE Support support@wingide.com
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 19:13:14 -0500 (EST)

On 8 Mar 2002, Ken Kinder wrote:
> It would be cool, really cool, to have it pop-up when I press F10 or
> something easy.

We do want to make it easier to get to the browser from the editor,
automatically displaying specific files or classes, and vice versa.

We plan to do some sort of MDI mode, which will probably be based on a
semi-generic model for specifying view placement and ability to show/hide
panels.  It would be logical to try to make that available also if you're
not using the single-window mode.

This sort of feedback is very useful to us... we've been relying on
windows as the default/simple way to place screen objects but modes
based on actual work flow make a lot more sense.

> I should also be able to press spacebar or something, on a method, and
> have the usage of the method insert. IE; I'm on a method that looks
> like:
>
> 	def fooMethod(a, b, c, d, e, f, g):
>
> and I press spacebar, and it inserts in my code:
>
> 	fooMethod(a, b, c, d, e, f, g)
>
> If I press spacebar on a module, it would put the import statement for
> it at the top of the code.
>
> Can you give me an idea if you might have an idea for that sometime?

We plan to add calltips and having the ability to fill in args
automatically is good, as often the names match up anyway.  We also plan
to automatically place imports and stuff like that.  The basic trend is to
move towards as often as possible being able to use high-level commands
like "make this a function" or "move these methods to superclass" or
whatever.  Part of that is to support initial coding but a lot of it is
for redesign/refactoring (which is pretty much most coding unless you're
a design genius that gets things right the first time ;).

Thanks,

- Stephan