News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] ctrl-x-f, search/replace dialog

Wing IDE Support support@wingide.com
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:42:22 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Ken Kinder wrote:
> For the most part I like 'normal' mode, but I recently gave emacs mode
> a whirl, and I like the ctrl-x-f functionality. Being able to quickly
> hope between files is very useful. Is there anyway I can get that
> ability using normal mode?

There are some changes needed in the code before you can use this in
normal mode.  It's something we've been planning to do... emacs ^S/^R
incremental searching within the window and similar stuff should also
be made available in this way, as well as ^X^B buffer switching (but
of course under other key bindings).

> Sometimes I hit ctrl+f to find, and start typing, and I realize I'm
> typing into the editor window, not the find window. Is there any way
> to have the find window take focus?

It should take focus into the search area when the search window is
raised.  On Linux, this is just a request on our part and we're at the
mercy of the window manager.  In fact there are bugs in Enlightenment
among others that prevent focus from happening correctly.  Drives me nuts
and I'd fix it if I could.

The real solution for stuff like this might be to go to an MDI style
interface where we have full control of the parts of the window.  That's
planned as an option (the old style will still be available).

- Stephan

Wing IDE for Python                          Archaeopteryx Software, Inc
www.wingide.com                              Take Flight!