 Search:

[wingide-users] Installation comments

Wing IDE Support support@wingide.com
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 16:20:22 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Neil Burnett wrote:
> 1) I thought that I had Python already as I have Zope 2.5.0?

Zope comes with a copy of Python, yes, but not a full installation that
Wing can detect automatically.

> 2) Why didn't the installer tell me it couldn't find a Python installation?

You don't necessarily have to have one... Wing also has its own private
copy of Python for internal use.

> So now, I guess I have to uninstall WingsIDE, download and install Python
> and then re-install WingsIDE.

Not necessarily... first of all, there won't be any change in uninstalling
and reinstalling Wing.  If you install a new Python, just restarting Wing
should be all that's needed for it to find it.

Also, you can manually point Wing to the copy of Python you have installed
(e.g., the one in the Zope installation) by going into the Project menu to
Properties and under Python Executable navigate to the Zope installation's
python (or python.exe on win32).  Wing will remember this and will stop
complaining that no Python is installed.

I'd have to agree that this could be made more obvious... sorry about
the confusion.

Please let me know if the above doesn't help.

Thanks,

- Stephan