 Search:

[wingide-users] debugging COM servers

Wing IDE Support support@wingide.com
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 12:07:18 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Craig Morris wrote:
> It is my curse to have to occasionally debug python code that is
> functioning as a Windows COM server using Mark Hammond's excellent win32com
> stuff.  I was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to use Wing to
> debug such a beast (the com server code is externally started from
> something like a VB client).  I tried the default wingdbstub and that did
> not work, although it is quite likely I was doing something wrong.
>
> Any pointers would be most gratefully received.

Did you read through the manual section debugging externally launched
code?  The steps are basically:

- Make sure the WINGHOME value is set right in wingdbstub.py
- Copy wingdbstub.py over to where your COM server code is
- Add an 'import wingdbstub' in a place that gets executed before
  the code you want to debug
- Turn on passive listen in Wing from the Debug / Network Mode menu
- Set a breakpoint in Wing IDE
- Launch the COM server code... it should stop at the breakpoint
  or at least the debug status area in the top of Wing's windows
  should change to "Debugger: Program Running"

I'm assuming you're running Wing and the debug process on the same
machine.  If not, there are additional steps needed.

You can diagnose problems by setting kSilent=0 in wingdbstub.py and by
starting Wing from the command line with console_wing.exe (which will
outputs extra debug info).  The output is pretty verbose but if you send
it to support@wingide.com we can likely figure out where the problem lies.

Hope that helps... please let us know if not.

Thanks,

- Stephan