[wingide-users] Wing and ZOPE on debian

Stephan R.A. Deibel
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:51:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Timm Gebhart wrote:
> I have some problems installing wing and zope on debian GNU/Linux.
> I'd like to use the Zope installation that comes with debian together
> with wingIDE, but debian changed the ZOPE start/stop scripts, so that
> the Zope patch on the Wing Site won't work.
> I'd be happy if you could give me some hints on how to install.

The three important things we do in our patch are:

1) Add -t 0 to the command line passed to  For example, this
   is the normal start script:

#! /bin/sh
reldir=`dirname $0`
ZOPEHOME=`cd $reldir; pwd`
exec $ZOPEHOME/bin/python $ZOPEHOME/ -D "$@" -Z '' -t 0

2) Replace the handle() method in ZServer/PubCore/ with:

    def handle(self, name, request, response):
        import ZPublisher
            ZPublisher.publish_module(name, request=request, response=response)

3) Add the following line of code to initiate debugging:

import wingdbstub

This can usually go in just before the asyncore.loop() call

You'll also need to copy over from your Wing IDE
installation and make sure that Passive Listen is turned on inside
Wing IDE (either by setting pref debug.passive-listen=true and
restarting Wing or by using the Debug / Network Mode menu item).

We also have an experimental Zope Product that combined with a
patch to Wing IDE 1.1.4 allows you to use Zope out of the box
without any of the above.  If the above doesn't work for you
and you would like to help test this new product, send email to and we can provide you with the info
you'll need.

Hope that helps.

- Stephan