News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Program crashes in debugger when importing inspect

Stephan R.A. Deibel sdeibel@wingide.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:01:52 -0400 (EDT)

On 14 Jun 2002, Fredrik Juhlin wrote:
> When I try to run a program in the debugger that imports the inspect
> module, the program crashes with the exception "Sequence index out of
> range: list index out of range" in /usr/lib/python2.2/sre_parse.py.
> The simplest case to reproduce the bug is with a file merely containing
> a line with "import inspect".

This is an exception that is raised during normal operation but that
Wing IDE cannot detect as being handled, so in the default exception
reporting mode it stops at this point.

This is usually because there's some C code that catches and clears the
exception.  Wing disassembles byte code up the stack to check for handlers
but of course can't see into C stack frames.

You can prevent Wing from stopping there again by checking the
"Ignore this exception location" in the error list dialog and pushing
the Close & Continue button.

This is remembered in your project file, and can be cleared later with
Clear Ignored Exceptions from the Run menu.  These ignores are also
cleared when using Compact File from the Project menu and checking the
"Non-critical debug attributes" box.

Hope that helps... there's text just below the traceback that explains
this but it's still a bit confusing at first.

- Stephan