 Search:

[wingide-users] Lockup

Stephan R.A. Deibel sdeibel@wingide.com
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 21:14:45 -0400 (EDT)

On 12 Jun 2002, Ken Kinder wrote:
> Is there anything I can explicitly do in my code to ungrab? Just
> temporarily while I debug?

Probably the easiest thing is to search in your source (and the libraries
you're using) for XGrabPointer, XGrabButton, or XGrabKeyboard and #ifdef
those calls so you can turn them off with a compilation flag. This seems
to be the most common approach in code I've seen.

GTK 1.3 doesn't seem to have this but I saw a small patch on the web so
perhaps it's in 2.x.  Qt has a -nograb option to avoid this problem. Other
tools may have similar support already, or it should be easy enough to add
unless there are tons of XGrab* calls.

Another solution is to display Wing across the network to another machine
so it's not affected by the grab that remains in place.

I found some indication that CodeCenter ungrabs during breakpoints but
also other discussions calling such code an ugly and potentially dangerous
hack.

We could try to ungrab while stopping but my initial inclination is
that this might introduce problems and that conditionalizing the grabs
in code is probably a better general soln.

- Stephan