[wingide-users] Lockup

Stephan R.A. Deibel
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:01:15 -0400 (EDT)

On 11 Jun 2002, Ken Kinder wrote:
> I have a GTK event handler that does something that raises an IndexError
> exception. When the debugger stops there, the X server wiggs out and my
> mouse becomes ineffective until I kill the process I'm debugging. :O

It sounds like the code you're debugging has done an XGrabPointer or
XGrabButton.  The grab is not released when you stop at an exception or
break point, resulting in the behaviour your describe.  This is a real
pain if you run into it often.  It can also happen to your keyboard with

If it makes you feel any better, I think gdb has the same problem.

The soln would be for us to detect the state of the X server and to ungrab
when in the debugger and re-grab when continuing.  From previously looking
into this, I think it's not entirely trivial to do this correctly.  I
suppose we could try to blow away all grabs and ignore the possible

Suggestions from X experts are more than welcome.

- Stephan