 Search:

[wingide-users] Overtype mode

Wing IDE Support support@wingide.com
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 09:14:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> A good user interface shouldn't have a hundred different options. That
> is a sign of poor UI testing and wishy-washy design. A good UI should
> pick one good way which works well and use it, not pick fifty ways that
> work badly and let the user choose which one they prefer.

This is a good point for most things.  However, the reality in writing an
editor is that people have very strong opinions, and nothing is a "good
UI" according to all of them.  Since accepting the editor is a big part of
the choice to use and purchase Wing, we try to give options in cases like
this.  This is sort of a cop-out, I know, but it's a sales/reality-driven
cop out.

We do try to look at it as an attempt to provide a good UI out of the box
with options available for those that want to dive in and alter it, rather
than avoiding a UI design and expecting all users to muck with 100's of
options.

- Stephan