News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Indentation manager conversions

Wing IDE Support support@wingide.com
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:11:49 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Craig Morris wrote:
> I am working on a project using 4 space indentation, all spaces.
> Occasionally another fellow, using a different editor, manages to insert
> some lines with tabs, one tab per level, into the source.  WingIDE
> correctly complains about the mixed format, but insists on using 8 spaces
> per tab, which of course breaks the code if I let it do the conversion.  I
> have edit.tab-size=4 in the preferences, but have not seen any other knobs
> to set that would rectify this.  Am I missing something?

The preference edit.tab-size is only used for non-Python files or for
Python files that contain only tabs in indentation.  This is because
Python assumes tab size of 8 as far as deciding what's going on in
indentation.  So we mirror that in what we allow in the display.

In the Indentation Manager, we assumed that you would never want to
convert using another tab size, but that is apparently wrong if you're
trying to unbreak what is essentially broken Python code.  Sounds like we
should enable the tab size field in the Indentation Manager in more cases
(it's only settable right now when converting tabs-only to spaces-only
indentation).

The best solution for now is to do a global replace of tab with four
spaces using the Search Manager.

Actually, the best solution is to get the other guy to use Wing IDE
too! ;)

- Stephan