News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Private attributes not recognized by Interactive Debug Probe

Wing IDE Support support@wingide.com
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:53:46 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, F. GEIGER wrote:
> I often "declare" attributes as private, using the '__'-notion. The
> Interactive Debug Probe seems not to mangle the attribute names:

> Attribute not found: _MyForm instance has no attribute
> '__taskcharge'
> <type 'long int'>
>
> Is this a bug or a feature?

This is a feature... it does the same thing you get in the Python
interactive prompt, and it's not possible to detect and alter syntax in a
way that doesn't break some code (e.g., if someone defines __getattr__ in
a class, it might not expect the _MyForm__taskcharge form).

> P.S.: I saw that someone (I think it was Ken Kinder) asked for a release
> date for the call tips feature. I seem to have missed the answer. So, when
> is this feature scheduled for relase?

It'll be in version 1.2, for which we're studiously trying to avoid giving
a hard date but for what it's worth, we're trying to produce this within
the next two months.

- Stephan

Wing IDE for Python                          Archaeopteryx Software, Inc
www.wingide.com                              Take Flight!