News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Re: "File Open" convenience feature

MBarclay@cri-inc.com MBarclay@cri-inc.com
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:16:59 -0500

Actually the ^X^F solution would be nice for some users, but it wouldn't
help me specifically, because I can already do ^O to bring up an "open
file" browser, which actually makes it seem as if my requirement is solved.
However, I'm sort of shell customization junkie, and my work style is often
explorer-based (Yes I am somewhat Windows bound :) and I often like to open
a file that I see in Windows Explorer, without having to re-navigate to
that file  from a file open dialog. There are several ways to accomplish
this, but I think that having WingIDE accept filenames on the command line
(and not start up a new instance if one is already running) would probably
be the easiest. Then a Windows user (maybe also CDE, GNOME, etc.) can
easily create a shortcut target that will lauch WingIDE, passing the drag
source(s) (the file(s) that was/were dropped onto the shortcut) as
parameters (%1 %2 %3...). WingIDE would then see something like:
"C:\Program Files\Wing IDE\bin\wing.exe" file1.py file2.py otherfile.xml
(so argList would have ['file1.py', 'file2.py', 'otherfile.xml'])

Also, the user can add an 'open with' entry to the context menu that
explorer shows when he/shge right-clicks on an icon in explorer. None of
this needs to be known by WingIDE, but to make these shell customizations
possible, WingIDE simply needs to respond to command line arguments and
restrain multiple instances. I have done this many times with many
different applications, even those that are not particularly Windows aware,
and it is very flexible. I'd be happy to post a quick how-to if the next
WingIDE meets the simple command line requirement.

Thanks very much for responding.

                    "Stephan R.A. Deibel"
                    <support@archaeopteryx.com>       To:     <MBarclay@cri-inc.com>
                    Sent by:                          cc:     <wingide-users@archaeopteryx.com>
                    wingide-users-admin@archaeo       Subject:     [wingide-users] Re: "File Open" convenience
                    pteryx.com                         feature

                    02/07/2002 11:17 AM

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 MBarclay@cri-inc.com wrote:
> Still very impressed with WingIDE!

Thanks!

> Yet, I'd like to know if there is a way to have Wing IDE accept files
> dragged onto it in Windows Explorer, resulting in opening them in the
text
> editor.
>
> Failing that, would it be possible to have Wing IDE do a start-up check
> see if an instance of itself is already running, and if, so, just
activate
> that instance, and parse teh command line for filenames. That is a fairly
> standard behaviour for 50% or more of the Windows IDEs I have used.

Both of these seem reasonable.  There are some architectural oddities that
may make accepting file drags a bit complicated but otherwise these things
sound doable.

> And if neither is possible/feasible, are there any more convenient ways
> open Python files (or text file in general) without making them part of
teh
> project and without using the menu?

In emacs mode, you can use ^X^F to open files using a keyboard interaction
area in the bottom of the window (it includes ability to navigate the file
system, do auto-completion, see lists of matches, etc).  We've been
thinking of making the emacs features like that available in the normal
editor mode as power user options.  This can't just be done with changing
key bindings right now but it's a smallish amount of work for most of
these to seperate them out from the personality support code.

I'm assuming you're looking for something like this keyboard-driven
ability to open files... if that's wrong, please let me know.

In any case, we should be able to do at least one of these things...
initially, whichever is easiest, and all of them sound like worthwhile
features.

Thanks for the suggestions.

- Stephan

Wing IDE discussion list