News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Re: "File Open" convenience feature

Stephan R.A. Deibel support@archaeopteryx.com
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:17:51 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 MBarclay@cri-inc.com wrote:
> Still very impressed with WingIDE!

Thanks!

> Yet, I'd like to know if there is a way to have Wing IDE accept files
> dragged onto it in Windows Explorer, resulting in opening them in the text
> editor.
>
> Failing that, would it be possible to have Wing IDE do a start-up check to
> see if an instance of itself is already running, and if, so, just activate
> that instance, and parse teh command line for filenames. That is a fairly
> standard behaviour for 50% or more of the Windows IDEs I have used.

Both of these seem reasonable.  There are some architectural oddities that
may make accepting file drags a bit complicated but otherwise these things
sound doable.

> And if neither is possible/feasible, are there any more convenient ways to
> open Python files (or text file in general) without making them part of teh
> project and without using the menu?

In emacs mode, you can use ^X^F to open files using a keyboard interaction
area in the bottom of the window (it includes ability to navigate the file
system, do auto-completion, see lists of matches, etc).  We've been
thinking of making the emacs features like that available in the normal
editor mode as power user options.  This can't just be done with changing
key bindings right now but it's a smallish amount of work for most of
these to seperate them out from the personality support code.

I'm assuming you're looking for something like this keyboard-driven
ability to open files... if that's wrong, please let me know.

In any case, we should be able to do at least one of these things...
initially, whichever is easiest, and all of them sound like worthwhile
features.

Thanks for the suggestions.

- Stephan