News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] WingIDE for OS X (was: WingIDE icons available)

Wing IDE Support support@wingide.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:02:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, SNYDER, BARRON F (AIT) wrote:
> I'm anxiously awaiting the OS X port. Currently I'm doing all my Python
> coding in BBEdit. It's a nice editor but it's not an IDE.
>
> Are you still looking at this spring for an OS X release?

Yes.  We were hoping early spring, but assuming we try to solve some of
the worst problems first, it looks like mid to late spring, as defined in
New England anyway.

I think we're open to releasing earlier what we would regard as a somewhat
shoddy beta if people feel they might be willing to deal with the warts.
Our recommendation would be to use a fast G4 to avoid the clunkiness and
we'll try to come up with work-arounds for some of the other issues, if no
bug fixes appear.

These are the XDarwin/OroborOSX related bugs we have:

* Meta key doesn't work (so Alt key bindings don't work)
* Periodically drops certain key values while typing (refuses
  to place the key until you press some other key, delete, then type
  the key again!)
* Resizing windows is really clunky and slow with the opaque drawing (also
  for non-Wing windows, so this is not specific to Wing or gtk)
* Scroll bars in editors are slow when holding down on arrows (again
  does not seem to be specific to Wing or gtk)
* Color does not work in menus, source browser items, project manager
  main debug file, etc: Color allocation may be failing under XDarwin?
* OS X shades below the auto-completer, so it's hard to see what you're
  typing (we either need to live with it or move the auto-completer
  on OS X)

These are OS X specific bugs in our code:

* Start New Console for debug process does not work
* Editor state restoring uses old state during ^X b switching back and
  forth between two files

Although we'll try to fix or work around as much of this as possible, the
bottom line seems to be that Wing on OS X will be a bumpier and slower
ride than elsewhere, at least for some time to come.  This stems largely
from the many layers of display architecture X programs go through on OS X
machines, as well as bugs in the X server and window manager.

- Stephan

Wing IDE for Python                          Archaeopteryx Software, Inc
www.wingide.com                              Take Flight!