News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Hanging whenever I type "import" !! -- FURTHER FOLLOWUP

Stephan R.A. Deibel sdeibel@wingide.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 13:34:03 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Nigel Head wrote:
> Until I changed reportlab.pth to remove c:\ from the path it was
> repeatedly unusably slow.

May be due to the modification time for c:\ constantly changing, which
causes Wing to constantly rescan the directory.  This could also be a
problem if a Linux/Unix home directory is on the Python path.  We'll try
to improve our handling of this but for now it's best to stay away from
including those types of directories on the python path.

> Now, with a path which doesn't make it search all the non-python cruft
> on the machine, things are down to 10-15 seconds (ie with python and
> reportlab plus a few mdules of my own app being the only things on the
> pythonpath). This on a 366 MHz laptop with 128M RAM.

That's a more normal initial scan.

> By the way, if I'm not going completely mad, there seemed also to be
> some strange interaction with my Ipaq, which is petty much permanently
> in its cradle on this machine; when I made the mistake of removing it
> from the cradle while Wing was doing its "searching thang" it seemed
> to cause Wing, and the entire machine, to hang completely -- maybe the
> uncradling causes some kind of 'file system changed' notification
> event to be distributed which confuses wing even further??  This was a
> thre-finger-salute type hang as well, not just a busy loop. Needless
> to say, I have checked that without Wing running the Ipaq can be
> removed & replaced without problems.

I tried replicating on win2k sp2 by unmounting various disks while running
Wing but that didn't do it even with open or analysed files on those
disks.  It could be we're misinterpreting some less common form of change
signal, or perhaps the fact that we've installed Windows event notifiers
for disk watching somehow combines to crash Windows.  Unfortunately, I
don't have an Ipaq to try this with now, but I've added the issue to our
bug list.

Thanks,

- Stephan