News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Hanging whenever I type "import" !! -- FURTHER FOLLOWUP

Nigel Head nhead@houbits.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 19:48:48 +0200

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:52:20 -0500 (EST)
Wing IDE Support <support@wingide.com> wrote:

> One question:  Does it still do this now or is startup faster?  I'm
> wondering whether reading and validating the analysis cache is also
> an issue for you, or just the initial scan.

Until I changed reportlab.pth to remove c:\ from the path it was repeatedly unusably slow.

Now, with a path which doesn't make it search all the non-python cruft on the machine, things are down to 10-15 seconds (ie with python and reportlab plus a few mdules of my own app being the only things on the pythonpath). This on a 366 MHz laptop with 128M RAM.

By the way, if I'm not going completely mad, there seemed also to be some strange interaction with my Ipaq, which is petty much permanently in its cradle on this machine; when I made the mistake of removing it from the cradle while Wing was doing its "searching thang" it seemed to cause Wing, and the entire machine, to hang completely -- maybe the uncradling causes some kind of 'file system changed' notification event to be distributed which confuses wing even further??  This was a thre-finger-salute type hang as well, not just a busy loop. Needless to say, I have checked that without Wing running the Ipaq can be removed & replaced without problems.

I haven't done any scientific research on this one though; I've just resolved not to fiddle with the Ipaq whilre I'm running Wing .....

N.