News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Hanging whenever I type "import" !! -- FURTHER FOLLOWUP

Wing IDE Support support@wingide.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:52:20 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 Nigel.Head@esa.int wrote:
> After my reported success of yesterday I went back to working on my real problem
> -- which meant using reportlab. Now, in my case reportlab was installed in
> c:\reportlab and I therefore had to recreate the "reportlab.pth" file which had
> got zapped during my python re-install. Lo and behold, as soon as I recreated
> the file (with "c:\" as the path) inside it the Wing startup became unbearably
> slow again (I thought it had hung, but in the end I just waited and 2 hours
> later all was well).
>
> Moving reportlab one directory level down (to "c:\rlab\reportlab") and putting
> "c:\rlab" in the path file restored things to sanity.
>
> SO: can it be that Wing is doing some sort of forward looking searching/analysis
> down the python path ?  If so I can understand why having c:\ on that path is a
> problem, in performance terms, and why the problem I had went away when I
> reinstalled python (until I got back to real work instead of a toy test case of
> course).

Yes, Wing does look in all directories off the Python path for things that
might be packages, which could take a long time depending on what you
have.

Perhaps we can improve this either by making the backgrounding less
aggressively compute-intensive (by doing it more slowly) or by limiting
the scope of its search.  We already plan to add indication of when source
analysis is busy, which will hopefully make it clearer when this compute
intensive task is going on.

One question:  Does it still do this now or is startup faster?  I'm
wondering whether reading and validating the analysis cache is also
an issue for you, or just the initial scan.

In any case, thanks very much for finding the cause of this!

- Stephan