[wingide-users] Hanging whenever I type "import" !! -- FURTHER FOLLOWUP
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 16:25:14 +0100

Continuing the sags of investigating what went wrong I have some further input:

After my reported success of yesterday I went back to working on my real problem
-- which meant using reportlab. Now, in my case reportlab was installed in
c:\reportlab and I therefore had to recreate the "reportlab.pth" file which had
got zapped during my python re-install. Lo and behold, as soon as I recreated
the file (with "c:\" as the path) inside it the Wing startup became unbearably
slow again (I thought it had hung, but in the end I just waited and 2 hours
later all was well).

Moving reportlab one directory level down (to "c:\rlab\reportlab") and putting
"c:\rlab" in the path file restored things to sanity.

SO: can it be that Wing is doing some sort of forward looking searching/analysis
down the python path ?  If so I can understand why having c:\ on that path is a
problem, in performance terms, and why the problem I had went away when I
reinstalled python (until I got back to real work instead of a toy test case of