 Search:

[wingide-users] Hanging whenever I type "import" !! -- SOLVED (fwd)

Wing IDE Support support@wingide.com
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 11:31:11 -0500 (EST)

[I'm forwarding this to the list since it was emailed to the wrong
address... and may be of use in the future -Stephan]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 17:59:39 +0100
From: Nigel.Head@esa.int
To: Wing IDE Support <support@wingide.com>, wing-users@archaeopteryx.com
Subject: Re: [wingide-users] Hanging whenever I type "import" !! -- SOLVED

Thanks for the suggestions ..... here's the remainder of the story, just in case
anyone searches archives for this later.

1) Complete uninstall of Wing, complete delete of Wing directory tree and then
Wing re-install (no bugfix patches this time)
          => same problem.

Deduction -- it isn't a corrupted cache (there was no cache directory under
.../profiles/nhead/....) nor is it failed installation of the bugfix updates.

2) Uninstall Python 2.2

3) Reboot

4) Delete remaining \python22 directory, with all remaining contents

5) Install (again) Activestate python22

6) Test Wing
          => OK

7) Reboot & test wing again ...
          => OK (still, yippee!!).

Deduction -- there was something wrong with the python install .... although
what I don't know as I recall that I did it exactly the same last time except
that I was uninstalling 2.1 instead of 2.2 and the scripts in question worked
just fine if I ran them w/out Wing.  I have my suspicions that the words "dll"
and "hell" may figure in this somewhere though .... strangely the problem
originally arose before I even attempted the python upgrade in the first place
(so perhaps there is a 3rd player in this dll hell game here somewhere. I have a
Zope binary install [dormant] on the system too, which may also have poked about
in \windows\system somewhere).

Nevertheless, things are running again now, so thanks for your help and advice,
and hoping that someone else may learn something from this!

Regards,

Nigel.