News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Debug process not attaching to Wing IDE

Wing IDE Support support@wingide.com
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 10:32:21 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, James Shaw wrote:
> I am having intermittent problems running my program from Wing IDE (1.1.3
> trial), getting the message "Connection Failed: the debug process never
> attached to Wing IDE".  I am using the wxPython library, if that makes a
> difference.  I'm sure I'm not the only one having these problems, but I
> could not find information on it in the mailing list.

The cases of this we've seen in 1.1.3 were caused by problems in the
Python installation, which were fixed by completely uninstalling Python,
removing any remaining files for Python manually, and then reinstalling.

This was on Windows and of course I can't tell for sure from your
description whether this is the cause in your case.

You can get more output from Wing and the debug process, which may include
info on why the connection is not happening, depending on where it's
failing.  The easiest way is to add this preference from the Edit /
Preferences menu item:

debug.logfile="/path/to/error-log"

Use full path to ~/.wingide/error-log on Linux or
profiles/[username]/error-log (under the Wing IDE installation directory)
on Windows.  Then restart Wing IDE and run your debug process until the
problem occurs.

This will produce a detailed combined log file, with info both from Wing
IDE and the seperate debug process.  If you send this to bugs@wingide.com,
we can see if it reveals the cause of the problem.

BTW, for more info on Wing's error logging facility, see section 2.2.6 of
the online manual for Wing IDE Standard 1.1.3:

http://archaeopteryx.com/psupport/wingide-1.1/

(this section number may change in future versions of the manual)

Hope that helps... and sorry about the problems!

- Stephan