Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Two annoyances

Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:14:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Ken Kinder wrote:
> This is what happened. I was copying code from testgtk.py which comes
> with the gtk python bindings. It has tabs, I use spaces. WingIDE
> inserted tabs.  I replaced the tabs with spaces, but Wing somehow got
> the impression I wanted to use tabs now. Two blue lines appeared
> around the code I copied, and even after I converted to spaces, it
> still would auto-indent tabs in that area. I had to restart Wing so it
> would reload the file. It would be nice if there were a way I could
> have it convert the text on paste and it should realize when I go
> through and clean out the tabs that I want spaces again.

Wing will use whatever it found in the file in the first place and hangs
onto that idea about the file even if you use global search/replace or
manually change the indents.

If you want to change indentation style, you need to use the Indentation
Manager from the Source/Indentation menu.  Wing will update its concept of
indentation style for the file after you convert from there, without
having to restart.

We are working on fixing some related bugs, which in some cases prevent
indent conversion, and in others cause backtraces from the source analysis
engine after indents are changed.  The latter require removal of the
~/.wingide/cache entry for the file (WINGHOME\profiles\username\cache on
Windows) while Wing is not running to get analysis for the file working
again.  Don't know if you'll run into those but I thought I would mention
them.

Yes, converting on paste would be nice.  It should be doable in most
(but perhaps not all) cases.  It's on the list but not for version 1.1.

> Now, when ever I save the file, it pops up with the "file has changed"
> on disk. Somehow it's lost track of the fact that it changed the file.
> Every time I do ctrl+s to save, a few seconds later, I'm told I need
> to revert to the file on disk.

If you can gather more information on this one, it would be helpful. We've
seen it also but not repeatedly as you describe, and it's never been seen
here on Linux (until now we thought it was a Windows-only bug).  It's
quite rare and not reproducible so far.  I was hoping it was related to
the above reports, but it doesn't look like it.  We will continue to try
to find this.

- Stephan