[wingide-users] bug? :: inconsistency in environment

Stephan R.A. Deibel
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 14:36:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Nigel Head wrote:
> I just ran into a small inconsistency between what Wing (1.1b7) sets up and
> running under pure python (2.1) :
> type(__builtins__) shows dictionary under Wing and pure python gives this as
> a module.
> I only noticed because I have one script that patches the builtin str() to
> replace it with something else and the code for doing the patching needs to
> be different:   (__builtins__.str=newstr vs. __builtins['str']=newstr).
> Is this difference intentional?  Am I just displaying my Python novicehood?
> Or what?

No, you're absolutely correct and it's not intentional.  There should be
no difference between running under Wing and running in pure python.

The problem was in the way we were launching with a globals space that
was missing an entry for __builtins__.  Python would supply the value
internally but apparently behaves differently in some ways when this
is missing (true also in 1.5.2 and 2.0.x).

A work-around is to use instead of launching from within

Or, apply patch #2 for 1.1b7, which fixes the bug:

Just unpack into your Wing installation to replace existing files.

- Stephan