News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Reloading Python Modules

Tue, 23 Oct 2001 18:13:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Gary Schiltz wrote:
> want. So, I guess this just turned into a feature request: easier ways to
> reload modules. Some suggestions:
>
> 1. A right-button menu item on each item in the call
>    stack for "Reload module of stack frame"
>
> 2. When saving a module in which the debugger is stopped,
>    display a pop-up dialog asking whether the module should
>    be reloaded.

We've been staying away from supporting reload directly for various
reasons, including the fact that even after reload you can execute old
byte code held by reference.

In some form or another, we do plan to support reload but it remains to be
seen how well this can be done.  I'm encouraged by how well the Zope
reload module works, although that's a constrained case so context of
reload isn't an issue, I think.  We do watch imports so might be able to
do this correctly in most cases, but it will never be fool proof.

In any case we need to get to 1.1 final before we start to look at
features like this.

And yes, BTW, the Expression Evaluator and Debug Probe are your general
purpose debugging escape hatches for anything that Wing's main debugger
API can't do.  Particularly the latter can be a very powerful tool because
as you figured out, you can do anything in the context of any selected
stack frame.

> By the way, I really like Wing so far (I've been using the evaluation
> license for a week or so). Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

- Stephan