Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Multithreading support

Wed, 28 Nov 2001 18:18:08 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Jeff Sasmor wrote:
> Wing IDE is great - but how do you debug multithreaded programs?
>
> There's no mention of threading anywhere in the docs -
> in the "task and bug list" document we see this line:
>
> * Support multiple concurrent debug connections and threads
>
> So is there any hope, or does one perform "crash and burn and
> guess" style debugging.
>
> Note: this is not a dig on Wing- I have been using it every day for 6 months.
>
> It would be great if you could at least switch off the main thread and
> onto another one so you could trace thru your logic somehow.

Unfortunately, at this point the answer is that Wing only supports single
threaded debugging.  Support for multi-threaded and multi-process
debugging is planned as part of major post-1.1 refactoring.  It will still
be a while.

We had hoped to support this sooner, but as it turned out there were
enough pitfalls in the single-threaded case to keep us quite busy.  Those
had to be ironed out before moving further ahead with the debugger's
capabilities.

- Stephan

Archaeopteryx Software, Inc.                        Wing IDE for Python
www.archaeopteryx.com                               Take Flight!