News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] debug cursor disappears when using interactive shell

Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:29:26 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Robert Rottermann wrote:
> When I debug something with Zope and I change a file that is loaded
> into wing I eventually get an dialog asking me whether I want to save
> and restart or not to save. If I say restart Zope is killed and
> somehow restarted. However that never succeeds. If I do not save I
> will get the same dialog over and over.
>
> If I do the same changes with an external editor, Wing just asks me
> whether I want to reload the code and everything is fine.

Oops, yes, I see the problem.  Since Zope was started outside of Wing,
it's not succeeding in restarting it after killing it.  This dialog should
be just a warning when the debug process was started outside of Wing and
should include a checkbox to squelch it.  In cases likes using Zope +
Reload Product you don't want to restart at all.

The check doesn't happen in the same way when you edit externally, thus
working around the problem.

Another better work-around is to set the following preference:

gui.auto-save-before-action=true

This will automatically save changed files if you step or continue
in the debug process, and will act more compatibly with Zope + Reload.
Apparently we tested Zope + Reload with a preferences file that
had this turned on (but it's off by default).

The bug will be fixed in the next release but using this preference
for now should make things work reasonably even if you edit inside
of Wing IDE.

- Stephan

Archaeopteryx Software, Inc.                        Wing IDE for Python
www.archaeopteryx.com                               Take Flight!