 Search:

[wingide-users] Windows Version

jpe@archaeopteryx.com jpe@archaeopteryx.com
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 22:13:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Ken Kinder wrote:
> I'm curious: How did you guys port a gtk application to Windows? I'd
> really like to know, as I do a lot of gtk programs for Linux that I'd
> like to have run on Windows too.

The short answer is we grabbed the gtk port for win32
http://user.sgic.fi/~tml/gimp/win32/ and started porting our code to
windows ;).  The longer answer is that we use VC++ with the nmake
makefiles that are distributed with the sources and have had to dive into
the gtk / gdk / glib libraries themselves to fix / improve the things we
need.  Most of our changes have been sent to the win32 gtk mailing
list and are available through the CVS repository on the win32
production branch; the rest need to be debugged & cleaned up a bit.

Most of our application level gui code is cross platform, except for the
initialization of fonts and our use of the native file and directory
selecters.  When thinking of porting a gtk application to win32, it's
important to consider the non-gui differences between win32 and Linux such
as file naming and the different process models.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about using gtk on win32.