News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Which default python version?

Wed, 4 Jul 2001 10:34:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Avi Schwartz wrote:
> 1.  The IDE always runs under its own version 1.5.2 (unless the wing script
> is modified).  Is this correct?

Yes, the IDE itself uses a private subset of Python 1.5.2.

Your debug process, however, uses by default whichever Python is found
first on your path, or failing that by looking in obvious locations like
(on Linux) /usr/local/bin and /usr/bin.  The debug process never uses the
private copy of Python because it only contains the parts of Python that
we actually use.

On Windows, BTW, Python is located instead by looking in the registry and
using the latest installed version by default for the debug process.

> 2.  The version of the interpreter determines which version of the Python
> manual to display.  Is this correct?

Yes... it bases this on which interpreter is used with your debug process.
This is also used to determine what python libraries to use in source code
analysis for the source browser, source index, goto-symbol feature, etc.
Anything that's dependent on Python interpreter version.

> 3.  The version of the interpreter installed on my machine is 2.0 but the
> IDE keeps trying to bring up the python 1.5 manual instead of the 2.0
> manual.  How can I get it to display the 2.0 manual (without creating a
> 2.0->1.5 link)?

Sounds like Wing is finding your installed Python 1.5 on the path before
2.0 so is using that by default.

You can confirm this from Show Analysis Stats in the Source menu.  From
there, use Change Settings and you can set the Python Executable either
project-wide or for your main debug file (if you've defined one in your
project).

After you do this, Wing will reanalyse all your source, your debug process
should run under the selected Python, and the correct manual pages should
come up.

- Stephan