News
Support
About Us
Python
Open Source
Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] any ideas why this would happen?

Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:29:33 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Mike Decoteau wrote:
> Thanks for your help.  Here's what I found:
>
> The problem appears to occur on linux versions that have setuid on xterm.
> In this case the xterm -e in wingdb will not inherit the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> The initial import of our swig'd module is ok due to a correct PYTHONPATH,
> but it tries to drag in additional .so's that fail if LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not
> set.
>
> So the solution appears to be:
>
>    * Don't use xterm.  I tried putting debug.use-xterm='false' in my
> preferences, but it used xterm anyway.  If I hack wingdb to force the 'else'
> path it works and LD_LIBRARY_PATH is available as needed.  What is the
> proper way to suppress use of xterm?

It's debug.use-xterm=false (without the quotes).  This seems to be a
recurring confusion so we will change our code to handle this properly
with and without quotes.

>    * I hacked the xterm case to preserve LD_LIBRARY_PATH by doing the
> following:
>
> exec xterm -T $TITLE -e sh -c "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> ${WINGDB_PYTHON} ${PY_FILE} $*"
>
> This works as well, such as it is.
>
> Does this all sound reasonable?  Is there a better way?

The final soln will be when we replace xterm with a window in the IDE,
so things won't be dependent on outside variations like this.  Not in
the next release but hopefully in 1.2.

For now, turning off xterm sounds like the best option.  Input/output for
the debug program (if any) will then be in the window from which Wing was
launched.  Of course, if Wing is launched from an icon, this doesn't work.
So this requires launching Wing from the command line.

Thanks for diving into this and finding the cause!

- Stephan