Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Index errors.

Mon, 9 Apr 2001 23:41:02 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

This is very likely due to the way we try to detect unhandled exceptions
in the debugger:  At the point at which an exception is raised, it looks
up the Python stack, disassembles byte code, and looks for matching except
blocks.  If it doesn't find one, it stops there.

This algorithm cannot see into C extension modules so it sometimes thinks
exceptions that are normally handled in your code are going to
be unhandled.

The solution is to check the "Don't show me this exception again" box
in the Error List dialog and "Close and Continue".  The ignore list
is stored in your project file so you only have to do this once.

In all the code we've encountered so far this usually only happens in 2-3
locations so is manageable with this approach.  However, if you have a
huge number of such exceptions that come up in different places, you can
just set Exception Mode from the Run menu to Never Stop (this can also be
set with the debug.exception-mode preference).

Then, Wing will act exactly as if your code were run outside of the
debugger.  The drawback is that you're only notified of exceptions after
the fact and can't see the state of your variables right where the
exception happened.

For more info see section 6.10 Managing Exceptions in the manual (actually
the exact section number may vary depending on manual version).

Let us know if that doesn't help...

Thanks,

- Stephan

Archaeopteryx Software, Inc.                        Wing IDE for Python
www.archaeopteryx.com                               Take Flight!