Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Miscellaneous comments

Mon, 6 Nov 2000 11:45:12 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Martin Preishuber wrote:
> I've downloaded Wing-IDE a couple of days ago and I'm really impressed,
> Congratulations for creating a very professional IDE which definitely
> helps the python community.

Thanks... and thanks also for your suggestions.  We're always interested
in feedback!

All of the things you mentioned are items we plan to include in future
versions.  Here are a few notes that might be useful:

> - Possibility to use another terminal instead of the xterm (incl. extra
>   parameters e.g. window size) when running apps

Yes, we want to replace the xterm and make this more flexible.  Note that
you can already turn this off with the debug.use-xterm=false preference.
Input/output will then be through the window from which you launched Wing
(if any).  This is the mode I use for most things.

> - When running a python app with gtk-bindings I get:
>
> Mapping key not found.: PYGTK_FATAL_EXCEPTIONS
> Location:
>
> File "/home/preisl/Software/ERoaster/eroaster.in", line 9, in ?
>   from main import Application
> File "main.py", line 19, in ?
>       from gtk import GtkVBox, GtkNotebook, GtkFrame, GtkLabel, GtkHBox,
> GtkPixmap, GtkTable
> File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/gtk.py", line 21, in ?
>   import _gtk
> File "/var/tmp/python/python-root/usr/lib/python1.5/UserDict.py", line
> 14, in __getitem__
>       def __getitem__(self, key): return self.data[key]
>
>   The application runs fine when running from command line

This is due to the way pygtk is written.  You need to say "Don't tell me
about this exception again" in the error list dialog and continue.  There
are a number of locations in pygtk where this happens as part of normal
operation.  You never see the exceptions during a run outside of the
debugger because C code is swallowing them but Wing correctly detects them
as unhandled exceptions.

> - Some more common key-mappings for copy & paste or probably a
> possibility to map keys yourself (e.g. "Del" key doesn't work in
> emacs mode here)

You can change these by altering the keymap.emacs and keymap.normal
files, and by setting the gui.keymap preference, as described in the
1.0b3 manual on page 13.

The reason the del key doesn't work is that it's mapped to the 'clear'
command, which does nothing unless you have a selection.  This should
could be changed 'forward-delete-char', but that doesn't do the right
thing if you *do* have a selection. In any case, fixing this is an item on
our pre-1.0 todo list.

> That's it from the application side ... Concerning the license policy,
> on the one hand it's really fine, to get a free version as free software
> developer, on the other hand, it's a bit painful to get such a license.

Unfortunately, for legal reasons, we have to collect customer information
and require the signed statement.  The other materials can be sent via
email if desired (although we realize this doesn't make the process much
easier).

Thanks again for your suggestions!

- Stephan

Archaeopteryx Software, Inc.                        Wing IDE for Python
www.archaeopteryx.com                               Take Flight!