 Search:

[wingide-users] Miscellaneous comments

Martin Preishuber Martin.Preishuber@eclipt.uni-klu.ac.at
Sun, 05 Nov 2000 22:41:11 +0100

Hi all,

I've downloaded Wing-IDE a couple of days ago and I'm really impressed,
Congratulations for creating a very professional IDE which definitely
helps the python community.

Since it's a beta version I guess it's ok if I give you some feedback
(just the result of a couple of days working with it):

- Some nice idea would be to remember window sizes of the various
  windows.

- In the Editor show the column number

- Possibility to use another terminal instead of the xterm (incl. extra
  parameters e.g. window size) when running apps

- When running a python app with gtk-bindings I get:

Mapping key not found.: PYGTK_FATAL_EXCEPTIONS
Location:

File "/home/preisl/Software/ERoaster/eroaster.in", line 9, in ?
  from main import Application
File "main.py", line 19, in ?
      from gtk import GtkVBox, GtkNotebook, GtkFrame, GtkLabel, GtkHBox,
GtkPixmap, GtkTable
File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/gtk.py", line 21, in ?
  import _gtk
File "/var/tmp/python/python-root/usr/lib/python1.5/UserDict.py", line
14, in __getitem__
      def __getitem__(self, key): return self.data[key]

  The application runs fine when running from command line

- Some more common key-mappings for copy & paste or probably a
possibility to
  map keys yourself (e.g. "Del" key doesn't work in emacs mode here)

- Manually turn on syntax coloring, e.g. for files starting with
  #!@PYTHON@ and with names not ending in .py ... I always have some
files
  ending in .py.in which follow that scheme for Makefiles

- Save the state of the "Show"-Flags in the main window

That's it from the application side ... Concerning the license policy,
on the one hand it's really fine, to get a free version as free software
developer, on the other hand, it's a bit painful to get such a license.

you have to print lots of stuff and mail or FAX it around the world when
most things can be done electronically ... the only thing which is
necessary to mail or fax is the statment to exclusevly use wing-ide
for free software development ... other things like license, homepages
or whatever could be transmitted electronically ... plus it's easier to
prove for the authors when the projects are hosted on sourceforge,
because
they already proove wether those projects are free or not.

Hmm that's all for now ... as I said, these are just some comments which
came to my mind ... all in all I'm really impressed ;-)

Greetings,

Martin

--
Martin Preishuber - Student, ECLiPt Core Member, SysAdmin
http://eclipt.uni-klu.ac.at,

It is much easier to be critical than to be correct.
-- Benjamin Disraeli