[wingware-announce] Wing IDE 2.0.0 alpha2 released

Wingware Announce info at wingware.com
Thu May 3 09:55:07 MDT 2007

Hi,

We're happy to announce the release of Wing IDE 3.0 alpha 2.  It is
available from http://wingware.com/wingide/alpha

Changes since version 3.0 alpha1 include:

* Added OS Commands tool for executing external commands and files
   outside of the debugger
* Added "when printed" exception handling mode that stops at exceptions
   at the time they would be printed
* Added Frame Show button in toolbar to jump back to original position at
   which the debugger stopped at a breakpoint or exception
* Added thread selector popup to the Call Stack tool
* Show name of thread function in list of threads as well as thread id
* Added more file type icons, shown in the project view
* Fixed Zope/Plone support
* Fixed Intel Mac distribution to not require MacPython 2.5
* Numerous other bug fixes

The CHANGELOG.txt file in the installation provides additional details.

Upgrading
---------

With this release, we have also started selling 3.x licenses and upgrades
(somewhat ahead of schedule due to the many requests we've received):

Upgrade        https://wingware.com/store/upgrade
Purchase       https://wingware.com/store/purchase

Any 2.x license sold in the last year is free to upgrade; others cost
1/2 normal price to upgrade.

If you are not ready to upgrade, feel free to keep using a series of
trial licenses.  There will be not limit on the number of trials until
after 3.0 final is out.

Reporting Bugs
but, to save time for development, may not respond directly to them all.

This is alpha quality software that installs side-by-side with Wing 2.x
or 1.x.  We advise you to make frequent backups of your work when using
the alpha or any pre-release version of Wing IDE.

Release Notes
-------------

The major new features in Wing 3.0 are:

  * Multi-threaded debugger
  * Debug value tooltips in editor, debug probe, and interactive shell
  * Autocompletion in debug probe and interactive shell
  * Automatically updating project directories
  * Testing tool, currently supporting unittest derived tests
  * OS Commands tool for executing and interacting with external commands

Note that auto-updating project directories are now used by default.
The old add package, add directory tree, and project update scripts
have been removed from the interface.  Users converting existing
projects may want to delete the existing files in them and then
add directories.  Otherwise, the project will not auto-update its
contents.

System requirements are Windows 2000 or later, OS X 10.3.9 or later for PPC or
Intel (requires X11 Server), or a recent Linux system (either 32 or 64 bit).

Thanks!

The Wingware Team